Inspired by the countless posts of others and the love I bear for these characters, I am thrilled to introduce to you…the characters—the people—of my novel, Valiant Journeys. As I continue to rewrite and edit, the characters grow and change. Already, I can hardly recognize them as the flat, stereotypical people they began their story as. I hope they find a way into your heart as much as they have found a way into mine.
Series theme songs: Crown Without a Cross by Lester and Holly
To every life there comes
Questions of the heart
For extraordinary pain.
The proof of battle
Is the wounds that you will bear
The scars that build you strong
For the journey that you make.
And there’s not a victory
Without a fight,
And there’s not a sunrise
Without a night,
And there’s not a purchase
Without a cost,
And there’s not a crown
Without a cross.
Nothing Without You by Bebo Norman
Take these hands
And lift them up,
For I have not the strength
To praise You near enough.
I have nothing,
I have nothing,
Without You.
And all my soul needs
Is all Your love to cover me,
So all the world will see
That I have nothing
Without You.
Take my time here,
On this earth,
Let it glorify all
That You are worth,
For I have nothing,
I am nothing,
Without You.
Meet the Characters of Valiant Journeys
Sir Damian the Valiant is both a knight and a lord. Left an orphan at six years of age, he has been raised by a man he now considers his father in all but name—Sir Caerleon. Damian is a gentle young man of 21 years when Valiant Journeys opens. He is loyal to his king and his land, but sometimes his tendency to question others’ judgment—as well as his own—causes him to hesitate. Damian much prefers the quiet of his remote fief to the commotion of Aginshire’s castle. Over the past few years, he has formed a friendship with Princess Avarona—a friendship he hopes to deepen into much more. With his slow, but sharp, temper, quick smile, quiet maturity, honest ways, and deepening faith, Damian finds himself at the forefront of a battle he did not choose, a journey he did not want, and a war he wants to end.
Theme song: All at War by downhere
I’m learning to stand
The more that I fall down.
It’s the law of inversion,
And it’s all turned around.
And I’m staggered by
The clash inside my soul,
So purposed for good,
But inclined for evil.
It’s justice and mercy,
The old dichotomies,
All along the frontlines of my heart
In both doubt and belief…
The sinner and the saved,
The old archenemies,
All at war in me…
All at war in me…
Princess Avarona is the younger of two children—younger than her brother, Ektor, by two years. The plague that swept the country when she was four and Damian six took the life of her infant sister, so her life, though royal, has not been untouched by trials. When threats of war fill the air, Avarona watches as her friends and family are harmed by its cruelty. She is a sensitive young woman of 18 years at the beginning of Valiant Journeys. Avarona’s friends are few in number, but close: her mother is her confidante, along with 17-year-old Sheridan and Sir Caerleon’s wife, Lady Gaynor. Avarona learns much through the pain she witnesses—a new maturity and strength of faith enter her heart as she does all she can to ensure safety for those she loves.
Theme song: Angel Eyes by Jim Brickman
King Jonas is, as all good kings are, just. He suffers, however, from deep-seated unforgiveness toward his traitorous friend, Luthius. Jonas struggles to find forgiveness and peace, all while leading his country into a war that costs real human lives and causes real pain. Jonas is torn between peace and war, but he finds hope in his Lord’s promises. As he tells Damian, “The best leaders know how to be led.” Jonas is a caring, protective father and husband. As time goes on, he takes Damian into his confidence and begins training the young man to be a future leader and husband.
Theme song: Lead Me by Sanctus Real
So, Father, give me the strength
To be everything I’m called to be…
Oh, Father, show me the way…
To lead them…
Won’t You lead me?
To lead them with strong hands.
To stand up when they can’t.
Don’t wanna leave them hungry for love…
Chasing things that I could give up.
I’ll show them I’m willing to fight,
And give them the best of my life.
So we can call this our home...
Lead me,
Cause I can’t do this alone…
Father, lead me,
Cause I can’t do this alone…
Queen Estrilla is a quiet supportive force whose steady optimism and encouraging nature uphold her family in their trials. She is her husband’s helper, taking charge when he is absent, and her children’s confidante, listening to their cares and worries.
Prince Ektor is 20 years old at the opening of Valiant Journeys. He is the heir to the throne, and no one doubts his capability to rule—except himself. Due to an accident when he was ten years old, he has a severe limp in his left leg and is incapable of running or riding a horse at a gallop. His even temperament of stoic seriousness rarely shows his grief, but he struggles to know how he might lead his country. He is, at times, coldly logical, solemn, and melodramatically witty. Ektor is a balance to his sister, and the two remain fast friends.
Theme song: February Song by Josh Groban
Where is that simple day,
Before colors broke into shades?
How did I ever fade
Into this life?
Into this life…
And I never want to let you down…
Forgive me if I slip away…
When all that I’ve know is lost and found…
I promise you I’ll, I’ll come back to you one day…
Theme song: Limbo by Ludovico Einaudi
Sir Caerleon the Steadfast is Damian’s mentor and father figure. Caerleon is a man of 40 years whose unshakeable calm and loyalty have earned him a position of honor among the king’s confidantes. He serves as a solid, dependable anchor for Damian amidst turmoil. Though far from eloquent and often a bit awkward in speech, Caerleon is thoughtful and filled with a deep faith in his Lord. As often as Damian questions his leaders, Caerleon trusts them—sometimes, perhaps, a bit too much. All in all, however, he is a good man whose greatest desire is to follow Christ’s steps and leave a legacy of strength and kindness.
Lady Gaynor is Caerleon’s wife. Though eight years younger than her husband, Gaynor is mature and soft-spoken. She becomes one of Avarona’s close friends as they share the aching burden of waiting for the men they love to return from battle.
Sir Bronson is one of Jonas’ knights, and Sheridan ’s father. His wife—Sheridan ’s mother—died in the plague fifteen years before the beginning of Valiant Journeys. Since then, he has left his daughter at the castle under the care of the noblewomen there while he journeys to and from his fief in the southernmost part of the kingdom. Bronson is a hot-tempered man who is suspicious and withdrawn, but who genuinely wants the best for his daughter.
Theme song: Healing Begins by Tenth Avenue North
So you thought you had to keep this up,
All the work that you do so we think that you’re good,
And you can’t believe it’s not enough.
All the walls you’ve built up are just glass on the outside.
So let them fall down,
There’s freedom waiting in the sound.
When you let your walls fall to the ground,
We’re here now.
This is where the healing begins, oh,
This is where the healing starts.
When you come to where you’re broken within,
The light meets the dark,
The light meets the dark.
Lady Sheridan is Bronson’s daughter and Avarona’s friend. At first, she seems cold and aloof, but, as Avarona knows, she is an excellent listener and strong companion in times of trial.
Sir Malon is an unassuming, reticent man. His wife and infant son died in the plague, after which he surrendered his fief and moved to a small chamber in Aginshire. Many underestimate Malon because of his silences and biting comments, but underneath his cold demeanor is a heart that feels more sympathy for the pain and sorrow of others than any would imagine. He proves himself to be trustworthy and keenly-minded, invaluable assets in the time of war.
So there you are—the major characters of Valiant Journeys. If you have made it through this post, I applaud you. Feel free to give me feedback! I love to know what others think of the characters I have grown to love.






23 comments:
AAAAAAAAHHHHHHH!
WOWOWOWOOWOWWOWWWW, may I say, that THIS Damian is *MUCH* CUUTTTEEER! Is it Chris Hemsworth!? Seriously!!!! We went and saw him in Thor last night!! Ack! *faints* Mom and I were just sitting there going "...Oh yeah... Oh yeah..." and then Riah goes "...he's ugly." O_O WHAT'S *WRONG* WITH THAT GIRL!?
EEEEEEEEEEEKKKK I LOVE LOVE LOVE this post!!!!!
@shieldmaidenthoughts: Yep, that is Chris Hemsworth. :) And I agree with you!!! I'm glad you love the post.
HAAHAHAAA *is giddy*
This is TOO COOL.
I love Chris Hemsworth. You've gotta watch Thor, he's adorable!!! (In looks AND personality! Beat that!) And he isn't a 'god' - he's an alien =D
I've heard a lot of good stuff about "Thor." Maybe I'll see it when it comes to DVD--Redbox!!! ;) Several friends have already told me how good it was. And I read the PluggedIn review and they gave it a good review, too...:)
Keaghan...I want to read your book!!! Love this post, it's so interesting. Characters are the BEST part of a novel, and yours are stunning. :D They are so unique and faceted!
Margaret
@Margaret: You just made my day! Thank you for your kind comment. It's so thrilling to know that someone who hasn't read my book is interested in my characters! I'm in the midst of heavy editing of the 2nd draft of my novel--My next step is to rewrite some more, finish editing, add a bit to some plots and characters, and start pursuing publication. :)
does this mean Damian would get A warhammer.
@Silent: I think he'll just stick with a sword. ;)
Wow! Luthius is cool. Who is he
Avarona looks very familiar who is she.
@Silent: Luthius is Richard Armitage as Guy of Gisborne from the BBC Robin Hood TV series. Avarona is Lucy Griffiths as Maid Marian from the same. :)
Should we be expecting to see your book in a book store any time soon.
Honorable and Respectfully,
Silent Running.
@Silent: Not yet. :) I have to finish editing/rewriting...then my next goal is to pursue publication! I've got a rough query letter ready to send out once I'm done editing. I'll be sure to let you know when you can find it. ;)
You know what Keaghan I think I might just look into that Robin Hood TV series. My favorite character in the book has always been Sir Guy of Gisborne. Also there is a short TV siries you might be interested in if you liked the Robin Hood TV series. It is a Robinson Crusoe TV series.
Honorable and Respectfully,
Paul.
@Silent: Unfortunately, I haven't seen much of the Robin Hood series. Bits and pieces here and there, and I like what I've seen. I've heard a lot of good stuff about it though, and I will eventually watch more of it. :)
:D
Aw, Richard Armitage always gets dished the villain roles! (I think, however, that he likes those.)
Good summaries! I don't know a lot of the songs, but the lyrics seemed to fit each character's biography. I want to see the story synopsis when you get it up!
@Abigail: I know, he does...except for in North & South (my favorite movie!) :) Unfortunately, Luthius insisted on looking like him. ;)
I hope to get the story summary up sometime between now and the end of next week! :D Thanks for stopping by and following!
I looked up the Robin Hood TV series on youtube and I found some full episodes.
Honorable and Respectfully,
Paul
What a great cast of characters! They all are interesting and real. Damian sounds like an excellent main character, with enough strength of character to make us cheer for him, yet enough potentiality for weakness that he is human and we can identify with him.
Avarona too sounds like a great character. Having written a story with a main character who's a princess, I know that there's a lot of stereotypes about princesses out there. but Avarona sounds very original!
Personally, I think my favorite of these characters is Ektor. Not only does he have a cool name (well, they all have cool names...) but his personality sounds fascinating and full of twists and turns.
I look forward to hearing more about Valiant Journeys. With characters like these, it's bound to be a delightful story!
love in Christ,
~ Liz
@Liz: Your sweet comment made my day! :) thank you! Damian and Avarona are close to my heart after all the years of writing their stories, so it is wonderful to hear some other opinions of them. Oddly enough, Ektor and Malon have become the crowd favorites, something I never anticipated. Our characters have a way of doing that, don't they? Stealing the story and readers' hearts when we aren't watching. ;) thanks again for the sweet, encouraging comment!
Aw, I'm with Liz. I think Ektor must be my favourite from among the character summaries. I like the limping, cool, methodical types.
I recognize a lot of faces here, but I'm afraid I don't recognize any of the songs. Ho hum, I'm not well versed in songs. But everything seems to fit very nicely, and I particularly like how you point out not only the characters' personalities, but how those personalities grow. Excellent work!
@Jenny: Ektor is definitely a cool, methodical, limping type. ;) He's won a soft spot in my heart.
Thanks so much for the encouraging comment! I'm so glad everyone has enjoyed meeting my characters!
Post a Comment