Those Who Whisper...

Friday, February 3, 2012

Snippets of Story

Katie had this brilliant idea to host a monthly blog thingy called "Snippets of Story." Absolutely fantastic. So, I'm linking up and showing off some of my favorite snippets of my most recent writings. I hope you enjoy!

~~~

Sliding his coat down his long arms, [Gavin] draped it and his scarf over a small side-table, knowing Atherton would be back to retrieve them. Holding his still-warm chestnuts in one hand, he ran the other over his hair, ensuring that it was smooth, then over his waistcoat, correcting any noticeable wrinkles. 
He strode with long steps down a hallway to his left for three paces before turning on his heels and smoothly walking into a spacious room. A group of men sat at a large, round table in the middle of the room, all of them older than Gavin, all of them wealthy to some degree, and none of them seeming pleased to see him.
            “Sorry about that,” he murmured, taking his allotted seat, directly to the right of his uncle, who shot him a reproving glance.
            “You’re late,” the older man muttered.  

--Eye of the Beholder

~~~

         Damian shot the policeman an annoyed look, something he never would have dared do to any other officer at any other time of the day. “Nice one. You been thinking of that one since the last time I was here?”
            “What, you mean…” Simon glanced at his watch, “exactly 62 hours and 27 minutes ago?”
            “Shut up.” Damian yanked his car keys out of his pocket.
           “Well, I’ll keep thinking.” Simon leaned across the countertop toward him, eyebrows raised. “Maybe I’ll come up with something better before the next time you come in.”
          “Look, I love seeing my tax dollars at work, but I think I’d rather if there wasn’t a next time.” He glanced over at Eristor and nodded his goodbye to Simon. “See ya.”
             “Maybe next time we’ll see each in the bread aisle at the grocer’s. Like normal folks, you know?”

--The Real World, 
a co-write with Mirriam featuring our various characters thrust into the real, cold world.

~~~

Like a misplaced figurehead, the arrogant prisoner planted himself in the aft of the ship. His rigid shoulders and high head made it clear to Jonas that he chose to obey—but never to submit. Luthius’ vicious scowl and tight, pale fists displayed the hateful disgust in his heart as the ship slowly vanished from Jonas’ sight.

--Valiant Journeys

And there are my Snippets of Story for February. Comments (whether critique or praise) are very welcome!



8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yay, Keaghan joined Snippets! ^.^

I love how descriptive your last excerpt is. Though the snippet was but small, I could truly feel it, if you know what I mean. It came alive before my eyes and gave me shivers. Well done!

Keaghan said...

@ Katie: You have no idea how widely that makes me smile. That snippet is taken from the prologue of Valiant Journeys, a bit that was written and rewritten at least five times from scratch. I'm so glad that the point came across clearly! ^.^

aquillpen said...

Real World and Valiant Journeys sound REALLY awesome. I want to read both!!!!!!!!

Keaghan said...

@ Jessica: I'm so glad you think so! :)

Lilly said...

Wow! I always amazed by the many people who can write better than me.

This are quite interesting snippets. I really do like the last one!

And this line was particularly funny, " “Maybe next time we’ll see each in the bread aisle at the grocer’s. Like normal folks, you know?”

Keaghan said...

@ Lilly: Thank you so very much for the compliments and for taking the time to stop by and comment. :)

Joy said...

Dear Keaghan,

I came across your blog recently (I think I stumbled across it from Abigail Hartman's blog) and it looks very nice!

The snippets are lovely, I especially love the snippets from Eye of the Beholder and Valiant Journeys... the last one especially is written beautifully =D.

Blessings in Christ,
~Joy @ joy-live4jesus.blogspot.com

Keaghan said...

@ Joy: Your sweet words just brightened my evening so much. :) Thank you for reading, following, and commenting!