Those Who Whisper...

Tuesday, August 23, 2011

Beautiful People--Gavin Orford


For a while now, I’ve seen and read various bloggers’ answers to Sky and Georgie Penn’s Beautiful People questions. And every time, I intend to answer the questions as well—or, rather, have my characters answer them.

And every time, I forget.

This time, I will not let that happen.

So far, on this blog I’ve introduced you to the characters of Valiant Journeys, my major WIP. Today, however, I’d like to direct the spotlight to the characters of my other WIP, Eye of the Beholder.

Granted, this novel-in-progress is not yet beyond the plotting stage, so I don’t know as much about the characters as I would like, but these questions will certainly help, I’m sure.

I would like to introduce you to Mr. Gavin Orford.

Gavin is the hero of Eye of the Beholder, and a retold version of Sir Gawain of Orkney. Gavin is a gentleman of character and standing, who lives with his wealthy and respected uncle, Arthur Pedlar, in London. Gavin’s life is a never-ending routine of dull work, dull conversations, and even duller parties. Until, that is, he unwittingly stumbles into the midst of an intrigue—an intrigue surrounding a frightened, breathtaking young woman named Rella Torley. His life will never be dull again.

  1. What is his biggest accomplishment?

Gavin would say—joker that he can be—that his biggest accomplishment is his ability to be the only one who can pull a prank on his uncle’s secretary, Kitt Spencer, and get away with it. If pressured to tell the truth, he would smile and say that being able to win Rella’s trust is enough accomplishment for any one man.

  1. What is one of his strongest childhood memories?

His strongest childhood memory is one he often mentions, especially when around his uncle—the first and only time Arthur ever raised his voice at him, when Gavin was ten years old and being hard-headed. Much to Arthur’s mortification, Gavin has made a habit of bringing the painful memory up in the midst of dinner parties, whenever conversation grows sparse.

  1. What is his favorite food?

Scones. When given the option, he prefers one half covered in double cream and the other thickly spread with lemon curd. And a cup of tea—two sugar, no cream—on the side.

  1. Does he believe in love at first sight?

No. He is amiable and jesting, but Gavin knows there is more to love than a pretty face and sparkling smile.

  1. What kind of home does he live in?

When in London with his uncle and aunt, he lives in their rather large, comfortable home. His room is spacious and clean, but the latter only because of his uncle’s servants. He has a tendency to leave his cravat and shoes lying about wherever they fall, his books stacked on his chair, and empty plates on his dressing-table. When he visits his parents and brothers, their home is very similar to his uncle’s. Though he has his own room, often he and his younger brother (the third of four) Garland often end up spending the night laughing, swapping stories, and playing chess in their father’s library while Gavin downs tea and Garland drinks coffee—no sugar, but lots of cream.

  1. What does he like to wear?

Gavin dresses as any civilized Victorian-era gentleman would when going out—cravat, waistcoat, hat, etc. He is not vain, but he does like to look presentable. From his shined shoes to his trimmed hair, he would not dare set foot outside until he was every inch prepared and respectable in appearance.

  1. What would he do if he discovered he was dying?

He would likely become very somber and quiet and make the most of every moment. He would be less likely to lose his sharp temper and would, at times, seem very withdrawn. Making certain that his family knew how deeply he cares for them would be a priority.

  1. What kind of holidays or traditions does he celebrate?

Gavin loves holidays, and traditions are highly important to him. He has been known to drive his family insane by whistling “God Rest Ye Merry Gentlemen” nonstop during the whole month of December, and perhaps even into January—he likes to stretch out each holiday as long as possible.

  1. What do your other characters have to say about them?

Within his family, his father is proud of him, but rarely vocalizes his approval. His mother is rather removed. His uncle, Arthur, would say that Gavin is a good, hard-working young man who simply needs to learn the value of patience and stopping to think before acting. His brothers Garland and Glyn would praise him highly. Garland is his closest friend. Anthony, his other brother, is far more like their father—quiet and distant.

Outside of his family, Gavin has interacted with countless people in social situations, most of who would approve of him as a quick, intelligent, entertaining, charming young man.

Rella, of course, would simply blush and admit that he seems to be quite a gentleman.

  1. If they could change one thing in their world, what would it be?

Injustice. Cruelty—especially when exacted by a stronger person against someone weaker than they—ignites Gavin’s temper quicker than anything else. He would not hesitate to take the side of the victim and, perhaps, even come to blows with the attacker.

Well, I certainly shall do this again! I learned quite a bit about Gavin simply by answering these 10 questions. Credit for the idea of tea vs. coffee for a character’s beverage of choice goes to Abigail from Scribbles and Inkstains.

I hope you enjoyed meeting Gavin as much as I enjoy writing about him!

12 comments:

Silent said...

Gavin sound like a very interesting character. What kind of intrigue does he get caught up in? And what does WIP stand for?
Honorably and Respectfully,
Paul

Keaghan said...

@Silent: Thank you, Paul. I'm glad he sounds interesting. As to what sort of intrigue he gets caught up in...you might have to wait to read some of EotB. ;) I can't reveal all of my secrets!

WIP is short for Work In Progress. It's used to reference stories, artwork, etc, that is uncompleted. :)

Thanks for commenting!

~Keaghan

Megan Langham said...

Ah, this story! I remember you mentioning that you were working on a retelling of Gawain's tale and I've been interested to know more about it.

Gavin sounds absolutely charming. I especially like his regard for holidays and traditions. ;) Thanks so much for introducing me to him -- and please keep me updated on the story. It's fascinated me already.

Keaghan said...

@Megan: Thank you very much! I'm glad it's caught your interest. Gavin is, indeed, charming--and his appreciation for holidays and traditions was something I didn't realize until answering that question! It fits perfectly, though, and I can't wait to write a scene or two exhibiting that enjoyment. :)

~Keaghan

Anonymous said...

Gavin sounds great! I like reading about characters with a sense of humor, as he seems to have. :) I love historical fiction, too - and really enjoy reading about the Victorian era- so I like the setting! :)

It sounds like you've got a great story going. Keep up the good work!

Alyianna said...

Your boo sounds great!

Keaghan said...

@Taylor: Thank you! He does have quite the sense of humor. It makes him entertaining to write. :)

@Alyianna: Thank you! And thank you for following! :)

~Keaghan

Jessica Greyson said...

He sounds absolutely delightful! I want to read more about him, like a whole book full!

I am suddenly wondering under what kind of circumstance he wouldn't leave the house in perfect order, why I don't know but I suddenly want to know, which is very strange. But he just seems so interesting - I want to know more about his personality and what in the world would be that disturbing to his world.

Ha! He and I have something in common! You must always have two lumps of sugar in your tea! Though I must say I have a slight weakness to occasionally add some cream. But how can one drink coffee without drowning it cream AND SUGAR!!!! *shiver* Not a fan of coffee. I can never actually find a taste I like, it all ends up tasting like burned tea, just a personal opinion from a firm tea drinker of sugar-two-lumps.

Thank you for sharing your character!

Have a lovely day Keagan!

Jessica

P.S. I think this is the first time the word verification has given me an ACTUAL word. pines. Pretty. :D

Keaghan said...

@Jessica: Thank you so much! :) As to what circumstances would cause him to leave the house in perfect order...it would have to be a pretty severe emergency.

I like both tea and coffee...but both much have sugar and cream. ;)

Thank you! I'm glad you find Gavin interesting! :D

~Keaghan

Sunny Smith said...

I love this character already! He makes me want to curl up with a good Victorian era novel:)

Nice work!
Sunny over at Splash of Ink

Keaghan said...

@Sunny: Thank you! :)

~Keaghan

Anonymous said...

The whole concept of your story is wonderfully intriguing. I hope to see it on the library and bookstore shelves someday. ^.^

Gavin is a grand chap. I really enjoyed reading more about him. He seems very amiable, like he'd be a friend one would want to cultivate. A person one would often enjoy conversing with.

Thank you for posting this! ^.^