Those Who Whisper...

Sunday, June 26, 2011

A Definition of Success

"To laugh often and much; to win the respect of intelligent people and the affection of children; to earn the appreciation of honest critics and to endure the betrayal of false friends. To appreciate beauty; to find the best in others; to leave the world a bit better whether by a healthy child, a garden patch, or a redeemed social condition; to know that even one life has breathed easier because you have lived. This is to have succeeded."

~Ralph Waldo Emerson

How true. Coupled with the knowledge of God and faith in Jesus, this makes for a very good reminder of what we should all strive for: "to know that even one life has breathed easier because you have lived."


5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ah, I love this quote. 'Tis one of my very favorites. One of those near and dear little snippets to keep with one always.

"...to know that even one life has breathed easier because you have lived." That is so potent, so true. Such a lovely challenge. ^.^

Thank you for this post!

Mia said...

Inspiring!

Thanks for sharing this...what great words to start the week with.

~M

Keaghan said...

@Katie: I just discovered it a few days ago and I love it. So true. In fact, I made a background for my laptop on GIMP with the quote. :) It's a good reminder.

@Margaret: You're welcome! :)

Silent said...

That is a very good quote. As I understand it, the quote teaches us to live every day making other people's lives' better and to not look back with regret.

Keaghan said...

@Silent: Exactly. :)