Those Who Whisper...

Saturday, December 31, 2011

2011: The Year I Learned to Breathe

Yes, friends, this year has come to its end.

And yet, all things must. There are seasons.

This year, 2011, my word--my goal--was this: breathe.

Learn to take in the everyday beauty. Learn to appreciate what I have. Learn to hold everything--and everyone--close, but not so close as to refuse to let them go. Learn to pause, think, and just love.

I cannot say I am perfect at any of these, but I believe I have become moreso than I was this time last year.

This year, I formed strong, bonding friendships with several. Friendships strengthened, while some waned. Others were rekindled.

I met the characters of numerous stories.

I discovered the Les Miserables musical and fell in love.

I developed my love of acting through participation in Pride & Prejudice this summer.

I realized my dream of becoming a student at Patrick Henry College by completing the rigorous application process and being accepted.

I completed the third, and final, draft of Valiant Journeys.

I started this blog, and first came into contact with many of you lovely people.

I saw both Mirriam (Thoughts of a Shieldmaiden) and Hannah (Another Once In Time) face-to-face for the second time. I am proud to announce that we all emerged from our respective visits whole and healthy, and I still love both of them. Deeply and as my sisters.

I wrote. I wrote stories, essays, a literary paper of 40+ pages. I edited. I used up an entire red pen in my pursuit of perfection and still required more ink.

I grew. I stretched myself in ways I never thought I could. Creaking, cracking, breaking, sobbing, tearing, painful growing. Yet, as Jon Foreman so eloquently said, "Every seed dies before it grows." I glimpsed what it means to truly surrender my life and all to my Savior and Prince.

I breathed, I changed, I lived.

And now I look at 2012, and proudly say:

I will breathe. I will change. I will live.

I have not yet decided what my word will be for this coming year. There are so many possibilities, yet one seems to push to the forefront of my thoughts: closer.

Closer to Him, closer to His Will, closer to His calling, closer to my future, closer to my family, closer to those I love, closer to my dreams.

Will you join me in welcoming this new year?

Let's make it the best year we've known.

Happy 2012.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Happy 2012, dear Keaghan. ^.^ Thank you for sharing your thoughts, your goals, for both 2011 and 2012. They left me inspired.

Keaghan said...

Thanks, Katie, and a happy new year to you, too! :)

Angie Kay Dilmore said...

Beautiful post, Keaghan! I hope all your dreams and goals come true in 2012.

Keaghan said...

Thank you, Ms. Angie! Happy New Year!

pbarrillea said...

Beautifully put Keaghan, Happy New Year