Those Who Whisper...

Tuesday, August 21, 2012

Snippets of Story--August

As you read this, I am midway through my first week of classes at Patrick Henry College, and loving every moment of it. (When I'm not fighting homesickness, that is! Ah, a fact of life...) 

But I am taking a few moments from my schedule to piece together a Scribbles post for this past month. I hope you enjoy. I apologize in advance for the grave nature of these bits, the book itself has some rather dark moments, and I am in the midst of these in my plot. 

~~~

"'Oh, God!' He stopped and let the words rip from his heart, their meaning beyond any description—a question, a demand, an accusation, a plea for strength. He sank down to his knees, fingers anchored in his ragged hair.

His stomach flung itself about, empty and demanding, but he ignored it as his mind replayed the eerie glow of burning memories, the work of generations turned to soot."
~Valiant Promises

~~~

"He opened his eyes, pushing aside the hatred that had tried to anchor its sharp fingers in his mind, the hatred that many would call merited, the hatred his flesh so longed to carry."
~Valiant Promises

~~~

"He walked, his eyes straight ahead, the cold enwrapping him, pouring through his tunic and cloak.

He hated it, in that moment.

Hated the fact that the seasons and days and stars and eternities continued on in their allotted paths.

Hated that he was powerless in the face of so much wrong.

Hated his own humanity."
~Valiant Promises




6 comments:

Joy said...

Wow, I found these snippets really good, Keaghan! They're evocative and well-written descriptions of the feelings of someone going through real trials. I loved them!

Thank you for sharing.

God bless.
~Joy

Emily Chapman said...

These were wonderful, Keaghan! :)

Love in Christ,

Emily

CG @ Paper Fury said...

Powerful writing! Dark, yet meaningful. Love it! My favourite is the last one. :) Good writing

stopping by from the snippets linkup

Anonymous said...

No wonder you got the part of the Stage Manager. =)

~ Timothy

Kirsten Fichter said...

Great snippets, Keaghan!

I've awarded you at The Silver Key of Poetry!

http://silverkeyofpoetry.blogspot.com/2012/11/elevens-as-far-as-eye-can-see-with.html

Jess Leigh said...

Wow, those were really good! :)
P.S I tagged you at my blog (Scribblings of a Dreamer):http://scribblingsofadreamer1.blogspot.com/2012/11/all-about-elevensies_5708.html